Did I tell you that I love this time of the year? Not only because the weather is cooler and pleasant but also this is the time when I can bake more than the rest of the year. The different spices that are used in baking this time of the year makes me feel so happy and cozy. The air is heavily laden with pumpkin spices, cinnamon and other warm spices be it in candles, drinks or in the bakery aisles of the superstores.
When you bake these muffins at home, the kitchen and the whole house will smell heavenly. The cinnamon and the apple makes a beautiful flavor that I love mostly about these muffins. Something magical happens when you bake with apple. The texture and flavor is to die for.
These muffins are perfect for breakfast or after school snack for the kids. This a good idea to make your kid eat apple if he is a fussy eater. The texture of the muffins is very soft and moist. The streusel toppings give a bursts of extra cinnamon flavor and sweetness to the muffins and the addition of the nuts give a crunch to the bite. The recipe is very simple and quick. So go ahead and bake a batch and enjoy with your family!
You do not need to peel the apple before grating. You may use any apples of your choice. Store the leftovers in an airtight container for 2 days. You may make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk at room temperature. Mix well and leave for 10 minutes. Homemade buttermilk is ready.
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
By November 2, 2015Published:
- Yield: 12
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
These muffins are perfect for breakfast or after school snack for the kids. The texture of the muffins is very soft and moist. The streusel toppings give a bursts of extra cinnamon flavor and sweetness to the muffins and the addition of the nuts give a crunch to the bite.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour for the batter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see tips
- 1 1/2 cups apples grated
- 1/3 cup brown sugar for the toppping
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients and keep aside. Take another big bowl and whisk together all the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan until just 2/3 full. set aside.
- For the streusel topping, in another small bowl mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix in the butter with the finger tips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the chopped walnuts if using. Sprinkle 1 teaspoonful over each muffin batter.
- Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve as a snack or in the breakfast with a cup of coffee. Enjoy!