I have a love-hate relation with this vegetable. I do not like when it is boiled or steamed but I love it when roasted. These look very similar to cabbages and are from the same family only that they are miniature in size. They look like cute little green balls but are powerhouse of nutrients.
Raw Brussels sprouts are rich in vitamins C and K and have considerable amount of Folic Acid. They have also some anti-cancer properties.
I love them when roasted. Sprouts have strong flavor which I am not a great fan of but roasting enhances the flavor as well as the taste. The outer leaves are crispy and the flavor of garlic and shallots compliments the dish.
This a very simple recipe and we have this as a side for dinner along with a bowl of soup and bread.
If you are not familiar with this vegetable or not a fan, give this recipe a try and I am sure you will love it.
Check the vegetables in between and rotate the pan for even roasting. Do not overcook it.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Shallots and Garlic
By November 17, 2014Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
Sprouts have strong flavor which I am not a great fan of but roasting enhances the flavor as well the taste. The outer leaves are crispy and the flavor of garlic and shallots compliments the dish.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 5 medium shallots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F. Cut off the ends of the sprouts and pull the outer leaves. Cut in halves or in quarters if bigger in size. Give a rinse under running water. Drain and pat dry. Cut the shallots in quarters and slice the cloves of garlic.
- In a bowl transfer the sprouts,shallots and garlic. Add the salt ,pepper and olive oil. Mix well. Pour over a sheet pan. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are golden brown in color. Shake the pan from time to time so that the vegetables are evenly roasted.
- Sprinkle the chili flakes if using. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm as a side with your favorite soup and bread. Enjoy!