Quick breads are not only quick and easy to whip up but also quite healthy. They call for less sugar and fat and mostly use fresh vegetables or fruits in the recipe. This Spiced Zucchini Bread is not an exception either. This bread is moist, loaded with shredded zucchini and spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. A perfect bread for the breakfast table with coffee or tea.
The summer is officially over. Though the last two days have been warm here, but one can feel a slight chill in the air at night. I love this time of the year as it is not too warm or not too cold. This bread also strikes a right balance between Summer and Fall. I like to call it a transition bread where you use zucchini for one last time and spice it up with warm fall spices before Autumn sets in.
One additional ingredient that makes the bread moist and flavorful is the applesauce. You may get it from the store or make your own at home. If you buy from the store just make sure to buy the unsweetened one. To make the applesauce at home, simply boil 1-2 peeled apples in a sauce pan with some water. When the apples are soft and mushy, take them out from the saucepan, discard the core and the seeds and blend it smooth in a blender. Apple sauce is now ready to be used in the recipe. How simple is that?
In this recipe I have used pecans and raisins but you may use some chocolate chips if you prefer. The bread comes out great and is also great for lunchbox or after school treat. Give this a try and let me know how it turned out.
Store the bread in an airtight container for a day at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator.
You may follow our Facebook page, Instagram and Pinterest for regular updates. If you recreate any recipe from Mellownspicy then don’t forget to send us a picture of the finished recipe or tag us at #mellownspicy. Thank You!
Spiced Zucchini Bread
By September 21, 2016Published:
- Yield: 1 loaf (4-6 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50-60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
. This bread is moist, loaded with shredded zucchini and spiced with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. A perfect bread for the breakfast table with coffee or tea.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon groung ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup mixed raisins dark and golden (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Line with a parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl add the flour,salt,baking powder,baking soda , ground cinnamon,ginger,nutmeg and clove. Mix well with a whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 3 eggs and the sugar and mix well with a whisk until combined. Add the oil , applesauce and the vanilla extract and mix well until combined. Add the flour mix and gently fold in with a rubber spatula. When the flour is well combined to the liquid ingredients, add the grated zucchini,chopped pecans and the raisin mix. Fold in gently. If the batter feels too thick, you may add 1/4 cup water.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes. Test with a wooden skewer. If the skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre then the bread is ready.
- Transfer to a cooling rack for 10 minutes and then invert the bread onto the cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- Cut into thick slices and serve with a cup of coffee or tea at the breakfast table or in the afternoon. Enjoy!