I am trying to eat healthy this summer and trying my best to incorporate fresh salads in my lunch. I have never been a fan of salads so I am quite picky in choosing the flavors. I have been really loving the Mexican Shrimp Salad and now my recent favorite is this Asian Chicken Salad.
Homemade salads are best as you know what is going into your plate. Whenever I am eating out, I always order dressing on the side as that is where most of the unhealthy fat and calories are. If you are making your own dressing you can tweak according to your taste.
This salad is very interesting as you can use up the leftover grilled chicken, so less work and it blends in beautifully with the rest of the salad! Whatever vegetables you choose is according to your taste. The crunch from the vegetables and the moist grilled chicken with a light homemade dressing makes a delightfully delicious lunch! The mandarin slices give a sweet touch to the salad. If I have this salad, I could survive on this for days! Try making this when you have some leftover grilled chicken and you will not regret for sure.
You may use any grilled chicken recipe for the salad but this recipe works best. If you plan to make this salad daily, you may shred all the vegetables in a large quantity and store in a ziplock bag in the fridge. You may double the recipe of the dressing and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. You may use canned mandarins but make sure to drain well before using in the recipe.
Asian Chicken Salad
By August 15, 2016Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
The crunch from the vegetables and the moist grilled chicken with a light homemade dressing makes a delightfully delicious lunch! The mandarin gives a sweet touch to the salad.
- 2 medium grilled chicken thighs/breasts see tips
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage
- 1 medium of romaine lettuce
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks green onion
- 2 tablespooons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon cilantro/coriander leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup dried noodles for garnish
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce for the salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar/white vinegar
- 1 tespoon brown sugar
- 2-3 drops sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- Cut the grilled chicken into medium slices and set aside. Shred the cabbage,lettuce and carrot.Set aside. Chop the green onions in slivers and set aside. Peel the mandarin orange and separate the slices.
- In a medium bowl add all the shredded vegetables and toss everything well.
- To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl add the soya sauce,vinegar,brown sugar,sesame oil,salt if using and black pepper. Whisk together until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into a small jar.
- In a plate add half the portion of mixed chopped salad vegetables. Add few slices of orange, few slices of almonds,dried noodles and one sliced grilled chicken. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with some dressing on the side.Enjoy!