The temperature here is soaring for the last couple of days. When the days are hot, I am usually not in a mood to cook anything rich or heavy for lunch. Tossed salad or a piece of sandwich is enough for me. During summer the fruits and veggies are so fresh that you can have on its own.
This Strawberry, Mango and Avocado Salad is now my current favorite. All the fruits are in season and when the fruits are in season they taste great! Perfectly ripe, extremely flavorful and candy like sweet and juicy. Love it! So instead of snacking on them I try to incorporate in a salad and make it a meal. Do you know that avocados have tons of health benefits? Here is an article where you can read about proven health benefits of avocado.
This salad tastes so fresh! It is very easy to put together and light as a meal when you are not in a mood to have a heavy meal. Chunks of mangoes, candy like sweet and juicy strawberries, creamy avocado and fresh salad greens make every bite a pleasure to the taste buds. A sprinkle of roasted cumin and red chili powder gives a spicy and smoky kick and a squeeze of lime brings everything together. This bright and colorful plate of salad is an instant pick me up! Every bite is a burst of flavors which will make you crave for more. A must try recipe this Summer!
You may chop the fruits ahead, cover with a cling wrap and keep chilled in the refrigerator. Add the lemon juice and the spice mix only before serving. Avocados tends to blacken when exposed to air. Add few drops of lime/lemon juice and cling wrap to avoid blackening. I wanted to taste the fruits in the salad so added just a handful of salad greens but you may add as much or as little as you wish.
Strawberry, Mango and Avocado Salad
By July 27, 2016Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
Chunks of mangoes, candy like sweet and juicy strawberries, creamy avocado and fresh salad greens make every bite a pleasure to the taste buds. A sprinkle of roasted cumin and red chili powder gives a spicy and smoky kick and a squeeze of lime brings everything together. This bright and colorful plate of salad is an instant pick me up!
- 2 medium Fresh ripe mangoes preferably sweet
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 cup salad greens of your choice
- 1 small lime
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 small dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon black salt or use regular salt
- Few sprigs cilantro/ coriander leaves
- Peel and chop the mangoes in cubes. Hull and slice the strawberries. Cut the avocado and chop in cubes. Wash and dry the salad greens. Set aside.
- In a small pan dry roast the cumin and the red chili until aromatic and lightly brown in color. Cool for 2-3 minutes and grind it to a fine powder in a spice grinder. Chop the cilantro/coriander leaves. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add all the chopped mangoes, strawberries and avocado. Sprinkle some freshly ground roasted cumin powder, squeeze of a lime and a dash of black salt. Mix lightly with a wooden spoon.
- Take a serving plate and place some salad greens and top with the chopped fruits. Garnish with chopped cilantro and additional roasted cumin powder. Serve immediately. Enjoy!