I love this time of the year. From this month till the end of the year there are so many festivals of celebration and who doesn’t love to celebrate? Just round the corner is the Ganesh Chaturthi, and after that the Onam, Navarathri and Durga Pujo. I love to see the excitement of the people preparing for each and every festival with eagerness and passion. And with each festival there comes special treats. Sometimes I am a part of this fervor and whip up something for the occasion.
But this time, just like that, I was craving for something sweet and it was ‘besan ki barfi’. The aroma of the roasted besan in ghee filled the house in no time and the barfis vanished even before I could take some decent snaps. Take a bite and the fudge melts in your mouth leaving behind a mild sweetness. You’ll crave for more.
Recipe is simple with two easy steps of roasting the besan in ghee until it becomes fragrant and changes color to light golden brown and making the sugar syrup. The key point is to work fast as you mix the besan to the sugar syrup and immediately pour the mixture onto a greased tray. Give it a try and enjoy with your family on any occasion or just like that.
Tips: The barfi stays well in an airtight container at room temperature for a week.
Besan ki Barfi
By September 6, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8-10 depending on the size (4-5 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
I love this time of the year. From this month till the end of the year there are so many festivals of celebration and who …
- 1 1/2 cups besan or chickpea flour sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup ghee or clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon almonds slivered for garnish
- 1 tablespoon pistachios slivered for garnish
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and sauté the besan for 10-15 mints until it changes to light brown in color and fragrant. Turn off the heat and add the cardamom powder.
- Meanwhile take another saucepan and boil the sugar and water till it is 1 thread consistency. Grease a six by eight shallow tray with ghee.
- Now add the roasted besan to the sugar syrup and mix well. Immediately transfer the mixture to a greased tray and press gently.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios and let it cool for at least an hour. Cut into desired shapes and serve.